Contributed by Rev. Steve Heinsen
Northwest District Secretary
June 9-11, 2022
Theme: “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” –Hebrews 13:8
The Rev. Dr. Paul A. Linnemann of Portland, Oregon was elected to his fifth three-year term as President of the LCMS Northwest District at the District’s 66th convention, June 9-11 in Portland. Rev. Dr. Linnemann was elected on the first ballot.
Also elected were:
- Rev. Michael T. Von Behren, pastor of Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Spokane, Washington, as First Vice-President.
- Rev. Eric T. Lange, pastor of Redeemer Lutheran Church, Gresham, Oregon, as Second Vice-President and Oregon regional Vice-President.
- Rev. Jonathan M. Dinger, pastor of Grace Lutheran Church, Pocatello, Idaho, as Third Vice-President and South Idaho regional Vice-President.
- Rev. Theodore P. Werfelmann, pastor emeritus of Light of Christ Lutheran Church, Federal Way, Washington, as Fourth Vice-President and Puget Sound regional Vice-President.
- Rev. Kyle D.E. Mietzner, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church, Anchorage, Alaska, as Fifth Vice-President and Alaska regional Vice-President.
- Rev. Dr. Stephen P. Juergensen, pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church, Walla Walla, Washington, as Sixth Vice-President and Inland Empire regional Vice-President.
The officers were installed at the convention. Go here to see a list of the election results.
Among the 13 resolutions adopted, delegates voted to:
- Honor and give thanks for the ministry of Concordia University –Portland. A time of remembrance and thanksgiving was shared with worship.
- Ask the Synod to consider the use of deacons in Word and Sacrament ministry. This action is to memorialize the Synod to form a Task Force to consider the establishment of a Diaconate for Word and Sacrament ministry within its congregations.
- Ask the Synod to delay the process of restructuring the Concordia University System. This action would ask a Task Force to study and report on the closures of three Concordias in the past five years to Synod before developing a proposal for the reorganization of the Concordia University System.
Stay tuned for more results, including the final Resolutions. You may also wish to check out the Concordia-Portland tribute video and the Faithfully Departed video that were shown at convention.